Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dollars & Cents





Friday afternoon, I decided to take my kids on a field-trip to teach them the value of money. Because, I have so many empty plastic bottles from the ingredients used to make products for Scentsational Soaps, both my son and daughter wanted to recycle them. That's not to mention the many soda cans that has been collected by my father-in-law that he donates to the kids on a monthly basis. We loaded up the van with all of the recycled items and also brought along a bank that the kids use to save coins, etc. This would definitely be a trip that would teach them the benefits of saving. I was just as eagered as the kids to see just how much was in the bank. The kids both agreed that the money would be split amongst the two of them for their own personal use. I prayed that this trip would allow them not to ask mommy or daddy for aany money in the days ahead.....yeah RIGHT!!!!! When becoming a parent, you are a parent for LIFE!!! However, teaaching them the value of money early will allow them to become more responsible. We went to a local store and deposited all of the change in a Coinstar machine.



Yes, I know, this service is not free, there is a fee, but it sure beats wrapping up the coins in rolls! The kids thought that this was fun. Just pour the coins in a watch the screen display the amount as it counts each coin. As you can see, they walked away with $50.14.......Were they excited? Most definitely! The entire way to the next stop; The Recycling Center, they discussed how they were going to spend it, etc.





We arrived to the next stop. This definitely was not my cup of tea. Everything was grimmy, dirty, and smelled. My son did his job like a man as my daughter and I looked on. Of course, she was there to help sign the receipt to get paid....LOL!!! They had made another $10.07. They were HOT stuff now! $60.21!!!!!! That meant they would get $30 each. They were too excited & I was excited too because, now they could see the concept of saving. Now, they can't wait to go back to get more.

Save that loose change that you have on your dresser and watch it grow. It will definitely come in handy for a number of things such as gas, lunch, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS ! I WISH I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF A TOOL LIKE THIS WHEN MY KIDS WERE LITTLE ! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT PARENTS ! KEEP IT UP AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS !

LOVE AND GOD BLESS , ANA MCGEE